Thursday, September 29, 2011

Is that a light at the end of the tunnel? The professor's dilemma

The start of semester is always a bit of a roller coaster ride for me, as it is for most academics. Regardless of how much prep I've started before classes begin, it always feels like I'm falling behind as soon as Labour Day is over. (It doesn't help that the JIL starts a week or two after classes and the research and letter writing for that takes a HUGE amount of time.) But by the end of September, things are usually starting to clear up and the initial rush of preparation lulls a bit before the rush builds again with midterms and other assignments.

So I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel and it's a great thing to see. But now I have a dilemma.

If I work through much of the weekend, I will definitely be on top of things and feel better next week. But I've already worked through the last two weekends and am starting to feel the effects. If I take time off and enjoy myself (a hike invite is sitting in my inbox, for example), then I will be no further ahead and run the risk of falling further behind.

Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

Kim said...

Go for the hike! Go for the hike! You will work much more effectively when you are refreshed. It really does work!