Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Plugging Away

Still behind.

But even more so now. I was doing really good coming into 25K - I was even a bit ahead at that point. But then I had a child who was ill, and it scared her. So I spent a lot of time just being nearby. Which of course means a lot of things got put on the back burner. Nanowrimo included.

Now I'm playing catch-up again. I don't think it's impossible for me to catch up, so I'm giving it a try, but it will require a lot more time than I feel like I can afford right now. Work is starting to get busy, my boss is out of town next week, so we want to get some things done right now, and we've just added three new projects to our roster over the next several months. There's variety in my work - which is great - but it means there's lots of it.

But I don't want to quit Nanowrimo. I set myself this challenge. I think I can meet it. I want to meet it. I keep saying I'd like to try to write fiction. Now's the opportunity to do it. With structure. And a goal. And a deadline. These are things that motivate me. So. I'm. Not. Giving. Up.

(At least not yet)

Last week, I wrote that it was difficult to get words on the paper, not because I didn't have ideas for the story, but because it was just hard to arrange them. This week, I am running out of ideas. Well, not really running out. I have ideas, I just don't know how to get the story from where it is now, to where I want it to be. Even when I do get words down, I have to still the inner critic whispering - okay, I have to yell to get her to shut up - who I have to ignore and just keep writing. The goal here is to get the words down. After comes the time where I make them into good words. But even with carte blanche for vocabulary, grammar and ANY sense of style, I'm still struggling.

But. I'm. Not. Giving. Up. At least not yet.

No comments: