Sunday, December 14, 2008

Winter and holidays

Busy last few days. I mailed off a chapter to my advisor this week, which is a nice load off my mind, but it also meant I had to turn my attention to my other work, which I've been taking my time on. I also finally got material from other people for the online work, so I spent a lot of time doing quality assurance on it.

Mostly I kept busy preparing for an open house we hosted last night. I'd never really done an open house party before, but I think I did a pretty good job of making sure I had fresh food throughout the evening. We had a lower turnout then I originally expected - some people had to change their plans because other things came up, but we also have had nasty weather over the last few days, which is a definite party-killer any way you cut it.

I don't know what the exact amount of snowfall was over the 24 hour period, but it was a lot more than we usually get, and then it got very cold. Between the possibility of getting stuck in a snowbank, and the cold, I would've been sorely tempted to stay at home too!

The snow took about 3 hours total to shovel, and reminded me a lot of Saskatchewan. The main roads are clear enough, but it's the side roads that get tricky to navigate. I wouldn't have taken my car out yesterday, and I might even consider carpooling with hubby on Monday if the side streets are still heavy with snow.

I love my little car, but like all little cars, it just doesn't have any weight to it, so deep snow will bog it down. It would be silly to own it if we didn't have a heavier vehicle to fall back on for those few days when the fresh snow makes manouevering difficult, but since we have a heavier car, I can afford to keep it in the garage for those couple of days every year when we get dumped on.

I'll say one thing though - it certainly feels and looks like winter around here now!

No comments: