Friday, January 30, 2009

RBOC: non-blogging edition

The reasons why blogging has (and will continue for some time) been slow:
  • Quality assurance on the last online learning project is slow. And there are a lot of mistakes. As a percentage of the total volume, it's pretty good. It's just a big problem, so that percentage is high.
  • My afternoon students were ready to stage a coup on Thursday, and it took all my energy to keep patient, continue answering their questions, and even maintain my usual dry humour during the class. They need to know that a C is a satisfactory mark, not a failing one, and that I will not change my grading or my policies (even if they glare at me all class as one of them did). In other words, the class will continue as I have planned it to. However, this class is at a precarious place right now because of their collective disappointment with their first assignment, and I think it will take all my energy to keep them engaged with the process. (I'm so glad spring break is only a couple more weeks away!)
  • I'm trying to learn how to scuba dive. Haven't got in the water yet, just working on the required theory. But the land part of the course is long and time consuming. Necessary, but long.
  • I discovered a flaw in the overall design of one of our projects today. The fix will be fairly simple, but, again, time consuming.
  • The next project is threatening to fall behind schedule despite my superhuman designing efforts because the client is not committing to recording dates. Thing is, when they drag their feet on approval or communication and throw us off schedule, they never seem to remember it was their fault when they get the project a month late. In the interests of getting paid, you can't really point that out either.
  • My birthday is coming up soon, and I have neither the time nor energy to think about what I want to do for it.

No comments: