Monday, January 19, 2004

Currently reading:
Mother London - Michael Moorcock
Tithe - Holly Black

On deck:
Villette - Charlotte Bronte
The Difference Engine - William Gibson and Bruce Sterling
Wicked - Gregory Maguire

Just finished:
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
London under London - Richard Trench and Ellis Hillman

If you've been keeping track, Ulysses has dropped off the list for a while. I'll get back to it, but I only have so much time in a day. You can obviously tell which books I have to read for the Victorian lit class, though it might be harder to spot the independent study books.

The Red tent was an interesting book - it retells the biblical story of Dinah, the ony daughter of Jacob from her point of view, including her mothers' histories and Joseph's rise to power in Egypt later. It's an interesting take on a minor event in the bible, but if you decide to pick it up, you might find the first third of it rather slow - I know I did and had to be encouraged to keep reading before it got good. And yes, it made me both laugh and cry.
David Copperfield, well, it's Dickens. I like Dickens a lot - his characters seem so real, and hence likeable, even when they're scoundrels - but you have to have a bit of fortitude to get through the length (as with most Victorian novels). I think I enjoyed it more than Great Expectations, but less than others.
And Neil Gaiman? Just fabulous! I definitely have to read American Gods now. What was fascinating about this book was the way it imagined the London underground, and I read it along with the Trench and Hillman book, which was a fascinating non-fiction history of how everything under London - and there's LOTS of stuff under it - got there in the first place.

The Michael Moorcock is also interesting, though I must admit it's not a page turner. It's a bit too obscure in some places to keep me up at night reading, but the way he shapes the narrative through the lives of the characters is interesting. The chronology is messed up though, and it means I'm constantly having to make mental (or actual) notes about where things are at during any given chapter. It can be annoying, and is (I'm about half way through), but sometimes those chronological displacements are what end up pulling a story together in the end.

If you like fantasy - try the Gaiman. If you'd like a light read (even though a bit slow at first) pick the Diamant (and no, you don't need to know the biblical references, but if you do, it makes it a richer read). If you're in a blizzard, trapped in the house for four days... well, maybe then the Dickens would carry you through best! *wink*

No comments: