Friday, March 05, 2004

I am so computer dependent I feel like I've been going through withdrawal over the last week. Ugh!

The hard drive on my computer is toast... apparently it has been producting bad sector data for quite some time and the funny stuff it was doing last november was just the start of it. Funny how the same guys who looked at it then said it was a software problem and they'd removed the offending software and a few months later they look at it again and realize its hardware. I'd kinda suspected it was, 'cause it made the kind of mechanical noises that electronic things aren't supposed to make.

Good news is thanks to my wonderful husband, it'll only cost $100 to replace - I went on Compaq's original site, got the part number and cost ($400) that they recommended and still couldn't find that part for much less. Meanwhile, Dwayne goes to the IT guys who pull the hard drive out and discover the one that it came with was a cheaper model... hmmm...sounds like Compaq isn't quite honest with its customers when it tells you what you're missing now doesn't it? Anyway, thanks to ebay, it should arrive early next week and I will be up and running again by this time next week.

The thing that sucks the most about this timing is that its spring break this week, which means I have extra time - during which I could be working on my computer - instead of saving all my computer work up. I'm using Dwayne's computer, but the software I work the most with isn't loaded onto his machine & since it's database software, I can't really replicate it elsewhere without a lot of extra fiddling. Ergh!

But it will be good to be connected again & then you'll hear more from me... I promise!

No comments: