Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Disappointment

According to Princeton University's wordnet, disappointment is "a feeling of dissatisfaction that results when your expectations are not realized". That's about what I feel like. Thing is, the blame for disappointment is rather non-specific. It can happen because your expectations were unrealistic and therefore not realized, or it can happen because someone else who was supposed to deliver on a reasonable expectation, didn't do so.

I got real excited yesterday when my daughter took a message a woman called about a job offer. We played telephone tag only for me to find out that she was a nice lady calling to tell me she's filled all her positions. It was very nice to know she looked at my resume and had the courtesy to call and let me know it. But I can't help but wonder. Did the time it took to play telephone tag mean I missed out on an opportunity? It was a pretty cool job - short term, but with long hours. Don't know what the pay would've been. But a cool job description.

Too bad - it would've been a neat job. In the meantime, I got a two-day offer from the temp agency. It's boring reception/greeting type work, but it's money, right?

And then the Flames lost last night. I never imagined they would.

And then today, I walked into class and cancelled it because no one had done the work I had expected them to do. Usually I tell slackers to pick up the pace and just keep going, but my class is so small that only a quarter of the students were up to speed.

I felt like a parent, having to lecture them about getting their ducks all back into a row and getting back on track, but I don't think I had much choice. Tomorrow, they shall get no mercy from me.

I'm also disappointed that I haven't got much of my own work done in the last little while with all the running people around I've been having to do. Aside from Dwayne's trip to tutoring, and mine to the court to play basketball, I put on 200 kms in the last three days in errands and chauffering (don't worry, there's more yet to come this week as well). And in this town, each one of those kms is hard won.

No comments: