Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Weird intersections

Games.

They seem to be everywhere: the latest fiction book I'm reading The Player of Games, an sf novel about a perpetual game player; I watched David Cronenberg's eXistenZ the other night; and the library just emailed me to tell me a book I asked them to hold about four months ago is now available: Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals.

Not that I know much about game theory, or am even terribly good at playing the things, but its weird how some things come in threes.

From eXistenZ:
Ted Pikul (disgruntled game player): I don't like it here. I don't know what's going on. We're both stumbling together in this unformed world whose rules and objectives are largely unknown seemingly indecipherable or even possibly non-existent. Always on the verge of being killed by forces that we don't understand.
Allegra Geller (game designer): Sound like my game alright.
Pikul: Sounds like a game that's not gonna be easy to market.
Geller: But it's a game everybody's already playing.

No comments: