Sunday, August 01, 2004

Pressure

Right now I'm timing out a Practice SAT exam for Sandy. She'll need to write the exam this year if she wants to apply to any U.S. schools, so she needs to begin practicing writing the standardized test.

She's getting a bit annoyed at the process. Well, frustrated and angry are probably better words to use. I believe during the last break she said the test was "hella stupid" and while I might agree that standardized tests don't necessarily measure how smart you are, if you want to succeed in North American society, you're going to have to write some kind of standardized test at some point.

So, we practice.

She also told me that she just wasn't going to apply to U.S. schools if she had to take the stupid test. And while I would certainly be absolutely fine with her going to a Canadian school (tuition is SO much lower!), if she wants to get an atheletic scholarship to a U.S. school (which she does), she'll need to write the SAT to get in. And if she gets a scholarship and wants to go that route, I'm all behind her too. I just want her to keep her options as open as possible.

So it looks like we'll need to do more practicing over this year. Another thing I'm going to make her do that she doesn't want to do.

Guess that's what parenting's all about though, right?

No comments: