Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Laps around Logan a.k.a. Logan Run

I don't like Logan airport at the best of times, and having to go there early in the morning two days in a row just confirmed that fact for me. The two visits couldn't have been more different.

The first, an international flight for 2 unaccompanied minors, was painless. There was no one in the line at the ticket counter, we checked in right away (including all the UM paperwork), I accompanied them through security, which was hassle free, and then we just had to wait till they boarded, which was also hassle free.

The second, a domestic flight for my oldest daughter, was painful. We arrived within the suggested 90 minute early arrival and still had to sprint to the security checkpoint. We came in at one end of the desginated terminal, noted the line, and followed it. And followed it, and followed it, till we finally came to the end on the other side of the terminal. But there was an agent walking the line, assuring us we would get through the line in time to make our flight. Well she was right, sorta. We got the boarding pass twenty minutes before take-off (hence the sprint to the long security line).

But then the fun began. You see, when asked for her passport at the front of the security line, my daughter discovered she no longer had it. She must have dropped it. So, being the loving mother I am, I sprinted back down the length of the terminal to the ticket agent, only to find when I got there, that another agent had picked it up and run it out to her. So I sprinted back to try to at least say goodbye properly only to discover she'd already progressed through the first screening to the machines.

Did I mention she LOST HER PASSPORT?!
Within ten minutes of pulling it out, she lost it.

Before today, I had talked myself into being cool with her summer plans.
Now I am nervous.

And tired from Logan's run.

No comments: