Saturday, September 10, 2005

I like meeting new people (well, most of the time anyway)

Met the new group of doctoral students this year - there are 9 of them, which is by far the biggest class admitted in many, many years. Makes me a bit jealous - there's only two of us left from my class - they all get to go through the same stuff together at the same time. Some don't have MAs though, so they'll still be on a different track, so I guess it's not really that big a change in the numbers.

I do know I was looking forward to meeting them when I woke up yesterday morning, but then, I felt so drained (no good reason) by the time the meet 'n greet started, that I really didn't feel like being 'on' for meeting new people... you know, making nice conversation, remembering names, asking polite questions etc....

Not that I needed to worry - they were all cool and within about two minutes, I was actually enjoying the shindig. (though I would've enjoyed it even more if the department could've sprung for at least one free drink!)

The experience was a bit like I feel about teaching. Usually when I'm heading in, I'm not enthusiastic, but within a couple of minutes of starting class, I'm psyched and actually feel energized after teaching.

Same kind of thing with meeting new people. I actually worry that I'll look or sound like a dork. Which is stupid. Not because I'm not a dork. But because when I think about it, I really just don't give a damn. Well, mostly don't...

*pfft* Okay, so I do. But I also don't. And no, I DON'T need to make up my mind. I'm gonna have it both ways.

No comments: