Friday, April 20, 2007

Learning curve...

I'm sitting here utterly puzzled by an email that my boss just sent me. He and our communications guy are talking about the webpage where all the stuff I'm creating will be hosted. That's fine. And as far as I'm concerned, they can chat all they want. I don't really care about the details of the web design. I just create and "manage" the content.

BUT, they're asking for my input. And I've never put together a webpage before (I really don't think playing with Blogger's templates counts) so I really don't feel like I'm qualifited to say anything. If I'd actually made a webpage, I'd jump in with my opinion, but I don't really have the time to learn that skill right now.

I've already learnt four new software programs for this job - all cool, and I'm glad I know how to use them, but still time consuming - and I don't think I have time to learn web page design... even by template.

We're already on a time crunch with this project because it got delayed and we had to ask for an extension from the funder just to try to scramble to finish it.

And because we're in a time crunch situation, I've been asked to convert some art work to flash for the web page. How'd I get myself roped into this, you ask? Well, in the past we've used another guy to do it, but he's backed up, and since I have the software that can (should?) be able to do this (it was part of a package that I haven't yet used), I'm going to give it a try once I get the artwork. But that will make software package #5 to learn.

Now, of all the people out there, I'm the last person to balk at learning something, but I'm starting to get some kind of strange ennui, a kind of software-learning fatigue... Wish me luck figuring out an answer to this email...

No comments: