Monday, May 28, 2007

Editing oneself

I've been working on editing a paper I'm trying to write over the last few weeks and finding it a fairly daunting task. Part of the problem is that I'm fairly significantly changing something I've already written (but which had a very different purpose in mind). It almost makes me wish I'd started from scratch instead.

But one of the most interesting things I'm coming to realize with this extended editing session is that I'm a bit scatter-brained. What I mean is, I find that sentences, or even whole sections, are well constructed and usable, but that I'm spending a lot of time rearranging whole paragraphs, or moving sentences around within them, to clarify what I'm trying to say.

So it seems I'm good at writing down an idea, but pretty bad at figuring out in what order those ideas should be placed. Seems a bit scatter-brained to me.

No comments: