Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Sunny days!

What perfect weather for a ride in a convertible... and I have one now!

We've been having some really nice weather - too bad it won't last - but for now, it's sunshine all the way. Makes me want to sit on a patio soaking it up, not working, but work before play, right?

I've gotta say I am delighted with our new car. I know new cars are always a fun novelty when you first get them, but this one's just fun too! I've been having a great time driving it and been having a great time at the gas pump too! At 60mpg and Diesel sitting at 20 cents/l less than gas, it costs me pennies to get around. Gotta love that.

One of the strangest things about this car is the responses of other drivers on the road. Although there are several thousand in the area, I've only seen three others in our little city on the prairie. Big city on the prairie has far more, but even there, people can't help but comment. Some people haven't seen one close up and just want a peek, but some are even more curious. I had a chat with a guy outside Timmy's the other day when he stopped to ask if I liked my car as I was climbing back in after getting my coffee.


I've had one really grouchy guy in a big truck think I was taking up too much space... but he was obviously having a bad day. Taking up space is certainly something this car doesn't do... in fact, our garage is so small that only a mini like it allows us to fit a second car in the garage.

Even having a flat tire is an amusing experience in the Smart car. Obviously, it's too small to carry a spare. I have storage room - enough for a couple of lawn chairs and a picnic basket, or a week's worth of groceries - but storage space is at a premium. So instead of carrying a spare, I carry that tire repair goop and a mini-compressor that runs off the cigarette lighter.

I got to try it out too - came back from one of youngest daughter's soccer games to find the tire flat. So I had to "treat" it right there on the side of the road. Took no longer than changing a regular tire, and there wasn't the grunting and groaning that sometimes accompanies the loosening of the lugnuts. It was actually kinda cool. Thank god they were able to repair the tire rather than replace it though - having a Mercedes import is costly - the tires are made in France after all, so they cost a lot more than a regular tire!

But cruising with the top down on a sunny day, the cost of tires fades into the background and the savings at the pump more than make up for any extra costs for parts. Gotta say, I'm loving this funny looking little car!

No comments: