Thursday, June 07, 2007

Grounded

It never ceases to amaze me at how attached we can become to our habits... and the places where those habits are enacted.

Due to an injury, I've had to curtail my running in the last week. It's very disappointing because I was preparing for a long race, and was scheduled to complete a much shorter one last weekend. Not only will I not be ready for the longer race, but I couldn't even participate in the short one.


But was surprises me is how much I'm reminded of this everyday.

I don't think I'd realized how big a part of my life running had become. I look at the weather forecast but realize that it's less important to me now than when I'm running.

I drive past road construction, noting that they've finally laid the sidewalk and my first thought is, "oh, good, I can use this run again" but then I realize I won't be doing that any time soon.

I drive past the trail running park, thinking how much I can't wait to get back to it.

I see an ad for shoes on sale, and realize there's no sense shopping for them because I don't know when I'll be using them... I just know it won't be anytime soon.

I'm trying to stay positive and just concentrate on healing, but it's hard.

On the brights side, I can still hike, so we went to Drumheller's Horseshoe Canyon last weekend. It's a little bit of wilderness in the middle of farmland, and if you don't know it's there and turn into the parking lot, you'd never even see it. But once you get to the top of the canyon, quite a vista opens up.


I don't know what I found more fascinating - the contrast of green and sand.


Or the detailed formations.


And textures.

I also bought a second hand backcountry pack, so if I can find someone who wants to go overnighting it, I'm ready!

No comments: