Saturday, July 14, 2007

Travellin'

Returning to Boston has felt strange every time (this is the third) and I can't quite figure out why. The first time it felt very strange, and I chalked it up to being the first time. But even this time it feels weird.

Normally I'd guess that it was because I lived here and now am visiting, and the dissonance between 'living here' mode and 'visiting here' mode is too large. But then I realized that I never felt that kind of dissonance when we would return to Calgary to visit while we were living here. Returning to Calgary was always very comfortable, like slipping on a favorite shirt that you haven't worn for a long time. Returning to Boston is more like slipping on a pair of 4 inch heels. Not as comfortable, and you're acutely aware of them at every moment.

There is the possibility that right now I'm just feeling sour over a meeting that didn't go as I had hoped, and that's why I feel weird...

But I've gotten a couple of things done, seen some friends, and I'm looking forward to visiting Cape Cod tomorrow, since I've never been there before. I still have a couple of friends I'm trying to connect with, and I hope it works out. But if it doesn't, I'll just have to catch them the next time.

But it's still a very strange feeling being here - not quite vacation, not quite home.

No comments: