Friday, December 21, 2007

Just an average Joe... or Stephen

Today after work I had one last stop to make aside from groceries. I stopped into my local Chapters bookstore, which was packed with people, though the helpful salesclerk who directed me to what I was looking for told me it was actually quiet!

As I approached the long line at the cash register, I noticed a security man next to the line. He wasn't wearing a uniform, but those distinctive ear pieces are a dead give away. I found myself wondering what had recently happened in the store that they'd decided to hire security. I'd been a regular at this store for many years before we'd moved away, and had never seen a security guard there before. I assumed it had something to do with the holiday rush.

As I stood in line, I saw a gentleman leaving the tellers, far ahead of where I was, and thought, "he looks familiar" and then a second later, "he looks like Stephen Harper." Then it dawned on me. It was Stephen Harper.

Two thoughts flashed through my mind in rapid succession. The first was curiosity. What's in his bag? What kind of books does the Prime Minister read? (Then I realized peeking in his bag wouldn't do any good because it was probably a gift.)

The second was a sense of approval. Some of it was for the man, but only a bit, since I don't agree with a lot of his policies; mostly it was a kind of sense of inclusiveness, a bit of homegrown pride, and a touch of admiration. I live in a country where the leader of my nation does his own Christmas shopping! I think that's pretty cool. Sure, he was surrounded by three men in dark coats and another in a plain suit who I assume was some assistant (I'd finally noticed the other security men when I'd realized the Prime Minister was in the checkout line with me). But at the same time, he was making his own purchase. And when a woman stopped him to ask if she could introduce her daughter to him, he stopped and chatted a moment before leaving the store.

Just another one of us poor, benighted souls trying to squeeze in a little last minute shopping... there's a kind of humility there that I can't help but admire. But then I realized, while he might be fighting the last minute shoppers, at least he has an entourage that can help clear the way! Not like the rest of us...

No comments: