Sunday, February 01, 2009

Favorite movies meme

I received this meme through email, but thought I would share it in a wider venue. The meme? Name a favorite movie for every letter of the alphabet.

Here goes.

A Alien Quadrology - In all fairness, I should choose just one, but they're all interesting.  I suppose I'm partial mostly to the first and last ones.

B Blade Runner of course - original edition, the one with the voiceover, not the Director's cut.  Close second is the Birdcage - I need to get this on DVD instead of my old VHS copy, but I just love Nathan Lane's performance in this one.

C Children of Men - I tend to be drawn to films about apocalypse or impending doom.  One of the earliest memories I have of watching a film was a post-nuclear-holocaust film.  (This isn't as traumatic as it sounds, since film watching was not a part of my childhood experience)

D Dogma - Irreverent, dark comedy.  I suppose there are several other favorites in the list that might also be described this way too.

E Equilibrium - I heard about this film through someone else, but enjoyed it as a fairly simple, but visually interesting film in which an experiment to eliminate all human emotion fails, but not in a spectacular way; rather, it seems just a bit sad.  Eastern Promises is probably a better film, and definitely a favorite as well, but I do like the ideas in Equilibrium better.

F Fido - So my first thought was Fight Club, and it probably would still be in this slot if Fido hadn't come along, but who can resist an alternate history zombie movie anyway? Carrie Ann Moss is fabulous, as is Billy Connelly. This is one of those movies that I impose a ration on, otherwise I would watch it all the time.

G GATTACA - I've enjoyed this film since it came out and recently replaced the VHS with the DVD because I like it that much.  I'd also really like to find a venue or reason to write about this particular film.

H Hot Fuzz - I could watch this movie over and over again. The combination of the pretense, the dialogue, delivery and just outright hyperbole gets me every time. The Hitchhiker's Guide the the Galaxy comes a very, very close second here with High Fidelity running a close third.

I In Bruges - Dark comedy.  We've already established I like these kinds of movies...

J Jaws, I guess.  This one is a tough one and I'm coming up a bit shorthanded here.

K Kill Bill.  Again, I'm not delighted by this one but can't think of anything else that starts with K.  I do like the visual effects of the film and (grudgingly) admire its over-the-top nature.

L Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - I've had to watch this film several times just to figure out the dialogue, but the plot and acting are well worth the effort.

M The Matrix - Yes, I know it's probably overly represented in lists of favorites, but I do like ideas within this movie. I don't mean so much the simulacrum of virtual reality versus lived reality, but the way that people live in Zion in this futuristic movie and the way that they've set up this alternate culture.

N Nightwatch - Russian vampire movie. Need I say more? Actually, I will. It's more than a vampire movie because there are witches and sorcerers and shapeshifters and all sorts of wonderful characters. I suspect the movie isn't as good as I think of it in my mind, but since it's based on a wonderful set of novels, the memories of a sense of delight in the novels colours my watching of the movie (over and over...)

O O Brother Where Art Thou? "My hair!" Adaptation, excellent performances, and a strange series of plot twists all combine to make a movie that I love watching over and over.

P The Princess Bride - Old, but still a favorite. One of these days I need to replace it on DVD because my VHS player is going to die someday and I'll no longer get to shout out along with the dialogue: "Inconceivable!"

Q Quills - Although there aren't many movies that begin with 'Q', even if there was a large selection, I would probably still pick this movie. Fascinating plot and excellent acting. I would recommend it (but it is quite graphic, so if you have a weak stomach, you might want to pass).

R Run Lola Run - NO, I'm not trying to be artsy-fartsy, but I really love Franka Potente's versatile performance in this particular film. REC, the Spanish horror flick that Quarantine was based on, is a close second.

S Sexy Beast - Sir Ben Kingsley's character in this movie is just so over-the-top that even after watching it an knowing how it ends, I still am tense with expectation. Ray Winstone's performance is also stellar, and quite out of character for the work he usually does, which gives the whole movie an aura of the fantastical. Shaun of the Dead gets honorable mention and would win out in some cases, depending on my mood.

T Trainspotting - what can I say? Between the baby on the ceiling and the worst toilet in Scotland scene, how can you not delight in the pathos an absurdity of this story?

U The Usual Suspects - Unlike some suspense movies, I still enjoy this one all the way through even though I know the twist. The Sixth Sense is similar - I can still enjoy it knowing the twist... "What a twist!"

V V for Vendetta - Yes, probably a predictable choice. But I just love the complicated treatment of social unrest in the movie.

W The whole nine yards - My appreciation of Matthew Perry went up significantly as a result of this movie, though I would also nominate Wag the Dog as a close runner up because of the acting in it as well.

X There aren't many movies that begin with 'X' but I do enjoy the X-Men movies. Coming up with a bit of a blank on this one.

Y Probably You Kill Me, again Ben Kingsley, who is one of those actors I whose perfomances I can watch over and over.

Z Really don't have any idea here. I did get a kick out of the Adam Sandler Zohan movie. Does that count?

Okay, that was harder than I thought. I seem to have many favorite movies, and each letter probably went through a couple of changes (and reversions back to my first choice) before I posted it.

No comments: