Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Class scheduling and classroom dynamics

Our campus is rapidly growing, which means we have growing pains. Even though our department is housed in a brand new building (it wasn't there when I left this city six years ago), we're being squeezed for space.

The squeeze makes itself felt in scheduling. I've had difficulty getting a lab classroom for the one day this term we need lab access, and we were told last week that there will be more 8am class slots in the future. Which got me thinking about my early morning classes and how they've been fundamentally different from my afternoon classes this year.

For the last two terms, I've had a morning section and an afternoon section of the same class, and I'm finding it a bit eerie how the dynamics of each classroom have unfolded.

In the first meeting of the semester, both semesters, my morning classes seemed like they were filled with excited, engaged students. Right from the first couple of days, students seemed interested in asking engaged questions about the content, and not at all shy about talking to each other.

Meanwhile, in both semesters, the first meeting with the afternoon class was filled with questions about grading policies and whether I accepted late papers, as well as asking how harsh a grader I was, and how much work they could expect.

In each semester, I found myself worn out by the drilling I got the first day from the afternoon class, but energized and excited about the morning class. For the record, I'm not a morning person, so I would think that the morning class would be more exhausting just because I'm not as alert, wouldn't it?

Over the term, each class seemed to morph though. The afternoon class settled down, got to work, and started producing good work, while the morning class started slacking off, and attendance dropped rapidly. Now, I can understand the low attendance for the 8am morning class, but last semester, my morning class didn't start till 10am, so one would think that the early start wouldn't necessarily be the problem.

Of course I recognize that each classroom's dynamics is going to be different and that it would be foolish of me to expect that each class will come together in the same way as another. So I don't expect each classroom dynamic to look the same and I work hard at making sure I don't let what happens in the early class colour the responses I expect from the second class. I don't expect the class discussions to go at all the same (except for the points that I know I'm going to work in), but I am nonetheless baffled by the collective behaviour difference between the morning and afternoon sections in each of these terms.

The most challenging part has been planning daily activities. I know if the activities I undertake in the morning class take up all of the class period that I will be pressed for time fitting all of it into the afternoon class because they ask far more questions and contribute far more to class discussions. Part of this is sheer numbers - although both classes have the same enrollment, there are at least 40% more students attending every afternoon class.

But it's leaving me with a dilemma. Either I let the morning class go a little early every day and keep the afternoon class for the full time, or I keep the morning class for the full time and go overtime in the afternoon class (or rush through material - don't know which is worse). I suppose the other option is to tailor what we do to each class, but that doesn't seem right because I would have to have "more" activities for the morning class. Besides, that would require maybe not two preps, but at least one and a half. Work I don't really feel I have time to undertake.

The symmetry between my afternoon classes both semesters and my morning classes both semesters is the oddest thing though. I realize it may just be coincidence, and I've never seen this before in my teaching, but it has me wondering (and now I'm wondering aloud blog-style).

Today I did the second Q&A of the semester. This is where I pass out a cue card and require each student to write an anonymous question (or questions) about the class that I then answer. It's not as intimidating as it sounds, since a lot of students seem to ask the same question everytime I do this. Today's afternoon class got personal though, and wanted to know about my education, family, and "what I thought of this class" The first two were easy, but the last one was a bit odd. I wasn't sure what they wanted, though I expect the question writer secretly wanted to be told the class was wonderful.

But I didn't feel that would be honest to say that.

This is the class that practically mutinied when no one got an A on the first assignment, which certainly did not endear me to them, and the fact that one of the questions was less of a question than a challenge: "I work hard so why can't I get an A in this class?" didn't help dispose me to telling them they were wonderful.

I did tell them that I like teaching this particular kind of class because the work they do is relevant to real life and I know they'll use the skills they develop in the class. And I did tell them that I have enjoyed reading the drafts of their research papers because they have all found different, interesting things to write about. But I stopped short of telling them that I like them as a class.

It's not that I don't like them. Now that they've settled down to work and we've lost some of the slackers after the final withdrawal date, they are a likeable group. But I don't think they need to hear that from me. I said I liked their work. But that's all I said. I couldn't quite bring myself to say I liked them.

I don't know. Maybe I sold them short? What would happen to the class dynamics if I said they were a great group? Would they think they had me in their pocket and slack off? Or would they be so delighted they'd work harder? Given what's happened in the class, I suspect the former, but maybe I'm being too harsh. What do you think?

btw: It will be interesting to see course evals for this one. Not only did they start the semester hating me, but the evaluator came in just after I finished answering that question about what I thought of them.

What timing!

No comments: