Thursday, September 04, 2003

Consumerism is a life-sucking state of being. I've spent too much time in stores lately between purchasing things we need for the new place, things that need to be repaired, birthdays, back-to-school, and my own book buying.

Most retail outlets just suck the life out of you. Looking at others in the store, do you ever see any joy? No. Mostly you just see vacant expressions, and if you do get an acual expression it's usually a frown, or a worried look. Where is the joy of entertainment - the heartfelt laughter or delight in a good book or movie? Where is the joy of accomplishment in the athlete who has met a self-imposed challenge, won the game, beat their previous record? Where is the intense satisfaction of talking with a good friend?

I'm disliking shopping more and more the older I get...soon I'll be Scrooge all year round!

No comments: