Sunday, March 13, 2005

Indecision bites

I've reached one of those stages again where I have so much to do, I don't know what to do first. It's a case of frozen indecision, the worst kind of fate for an overworked student because it seems so utterly ridiculous ... frozen indecision to a grad student is like writer's block to a writer... awfully easy to fall in to, hard to pinpoint why it happens, and hard to get back out of.

Typical scenario:
I've just finished reading this interesting article by Todorov...should I read the next article by Coles in the book, or read Todorov's book? Both are on my list. Which one should I do first?
Stand up, stretch, walk around the living room once, then twice.
Or maybe I should read some in one of the other areas. I haven't read a novel in a long time. Maybe I should start London Fields. Or maybe I should read the Todorov. Or maybe I should read the Coles.
Walk into the bedroom/study and see a sheaf of papers on my desk.
Maybe I should read this stack of papers instead of the Coles or the Todorov book. It would help me decide how to focus this other reading list.
Go downstairs again, fill up coffee cup, muttering to myself as I walk back up the stairs.
No, I'm not going to let myself get distracted, I'm going to read the next article in this book, the Coles, and then maybe I'll read the Todorov.
Walk into the bedroom/study, glance at another pile of books (different place from the sheaf of papers). See a book with a paper band around the front cover.
Oh! I have an interlibrary loan! I wonder when it's due? I hope it's not overdue! Or please don't let it be due tommorrow!
Walk over to the book, look at the date on the cover.
Whew! It's due in four days. Well, I guess that decides it for me. I'd better read this book before I have to return it!

Sit down and open book to table of contents.
Oh yeah, right... gotta mark papers for tomorrow too.
The disaster of frozen indecision is averted... at least for the next four days.

No comments: