Saturday, March 19, 2005

Slightly less lame

Last post I wrote in this space was extremely lame and thus has gotten the axe. Question is whether this one can move on up the lame-scale!

I am getting a bit excited/nervous about going to San Diego next week. I fly out Wednesday afternoon and come back Sunday morning (non-stop; 7 hours - I haven't been on a flight that long since we flew back from South America. Funny that - we ended up in Southern California that time too)

I'm fairly happy with the paper, and I'll get some feedback from a fellow fan/scholar next week so at least I'll have someone else's perspective on what the paper reads like. I'm of course a bit nervous about presenting, particularly since the other people on my panel are more seasoned than I am at this kind of thing.

I've never been to San Diego, and when I was last in L.A., I was eleven years old, so my perspective of southern California is from a child's perspective. It will be interesting to visit a new place, and should only cost me a couple hundred dollars out of my own pocket - overall, a good value I figure. Since we only made it as far south as San Fransisco when we did our road trip year before we left, this trip will fill in another piece of California for me.

Not to mention the fact that the Pop Culture conference has a lot of really fabulous panels (and some pretty interesting people to go with them). I'm looking forward to hearing some really neat papers and meeting some neat people.

The week after PCA, I head off to Indianapolis (probably not quite so charmingly picaresque) for another conference, so today I put the finishing touches on that paper. I still have to time it, but it's in the right range.

I'm sure I'll be happy to stay home in April!

No comments: