Thursday, July 21, 2005

good news... more (unexpected) good news... lots of boring work... more good stuff

What more could a girl want?

Yesterday started out so horribly and ended so wonderfully that it kinda feels like it was a week's worth of stuff. I was so tired in the morning that I totally forgot it was my anniversary and so I didn't say anything to D before we left, which kinda bummed me when I realized it, and then teaching didn't go so good, and then I had some quick errands that ate up time and the day was shaping up to be pretty normal.

But then when I got to the department, I went to a dissertation defense (and actually understood some of it 'cause it was late nineteenth century stuff) where I saw not only the comps supervisor who I was expecting to talk to, but one who I have been emailing for a couple of weeks, nagging her to read my list. She seemed a bit surprised to see me, but being the professional that she is, recovered well and promised to chat. Hooray!

I must admit I did have difficulty concentrating in the defense because I kept wondering whether the two comps conversations I was going to have by the end of the day were going to be good or just get worse. Obviously from the title of this post, they went good. One list is entirely approved - wahoo! and the other is pretty much approved, with some minor changes, and, AND, the stuff that I'd earlier been told to scrap because I didn't need it, is now back on (with those minor changes), so I didn't waste all that time!

This is cool beans in local (teen) parlance.

Now I have another 11 or 12 hours of third draft marking - ugh, ugh, ugh! (I might have to finish the champagne we opened last night before making it through them all)

But then it's off to Montreal for the weekend! The comedy festival and my first visit to the city at the same time... can't get any better... just as long as losing your passport isn't a genetic thing...

No comments: