Wednesday, May 17, 2006

In which I wax poetic

You may remember how I was worrying about how to fill 210 minutes of class twice a week. Looks like that's less of a worry than I at first thought.

Having never taught for such a long time period before, I worried about how to fill such a large time slot. I also worried about the stamina of the students and whether they'd be able to keep up.

They're able to keep up (mostly) and they even seem eager to talk, which makes classtime so much easier to manage. They did get a little wearied by the scansion exercise yesterday. And I was very confused about how difficult a time some of them had grasping the concept. I had one student who swears she cannot tell which syllable the emphasis is on for any given word. I've never met anyone who couldn't figure that out.

I also thought that kids do this in school... don't they? She recalled a clapping exercise, but still claims she cannot tell which syllable to emphasize, even though she is clearly able to because her speech isn't full of weird emphases. She's also the student who rolled her eyes when I said the exam was cumulative, so I'm chalking it up to obstinacy, and just a piss poor attitude about the course.

note to self in ideal world: ask her why the hell she chose the course if she hates it so much or if she's always just this negative and whether she has many friends
I realized that most of my posting has been about this poetry class, which is not only boring for you, dear reader, but also indicates a relative lack of imagination or variety in my blog life. That's mostly because this course is eating up every spare minute that I have. I'm sure my head will be able to emerge out of my ass sometime soon... at least I hope so!

No comments: