Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Box break

I'm taking a break from boxes to job search... but that's just making me realize how labour intensive that activity is in itself! I swear it takes me an hour to revise my resume and write a cover letter for each position! At this rate, it'll take me till tomorrow just to make it through the list of jobs I want to apply for... and then I suppose they'll be new postings!

It's also very weird to dust off my non-teaching skills as I prepare letters for non-teaching positions. I realize I've forgotten half of what I know, because I'll read a job description and it will suddenly occur to me that I worked a job where I did that particular kind of task seven years ago, and I'll have to add that into my resume so that I've at least got a shot at the position. It's a strange feeling because it keeps reminding me of my life before I started on this academic path, which feels sometimes like someone else's life...

There's tons of service type jobs around here - there are places that are advertising $1-2/hr. differentials if you'll sign up to work fulltime rather than just partime, and there are other businesses that have had to cut back their hours or actually close locations because they can't find people to work in their stores. But I'm not applying for those jobs. The ones I'm applying for are at about the same levels as they've always been, which means competition for some of them might be really tight, but if I send out enough resumes, eventually I'll get some bites. I just hope the ones that call me are the more interesting ones and not the ones that I sent a 'safety' resume to.

No comments: