Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Reverse culture shock

Was talking to my dad this weekend, who reminded me that the biggest culture shock is the one you get when you come back. (He remember vividly the culture shock of returning from Brazil, though I mostly was oblivious because I was young) Coming back is more shocking because you expect things to be different when you go somewhere else, but you're not set up with the same kind of expectation when you come back.

And it's always the little things. Like:

motorists who stop for you when you're in the crosswalk


The Tragically Hip (thanks to Canadian content rules!)


pockets full of coins that add up to more than a cup of coffee


needing a coin to get your shopping cart out (but you do get it back)


dual language video covers (though this is mostly new out west)



And then there's the shock of coming back to a city whose population has exploded in the last four years. The traffic is just a bit slower everywhere, there are neighborhoods I've never even heard of, and there are labour shortages everywhere. It's actually quite severe in the service sector.

We drove up to a Wendy's today thinking we could quickly run through the drive through, but there was a sign there instead that said "Due to inadequate staffing, the drive through window is not open. Please go to the dining room to place your order. Thank you for your patience" While the A & W across the street is operating on reduced hours for the same reason. It's absolutely amazing.

And how is my job search going? Well thank you for asking! I've had two telephone pre-interview screenings - one I didn't get a call back from and the other I'm still waiting on. I also have an interview scheduled for Friday. So it's slowly picking up. The telephone screening this afternoon was for a job I'd very much like, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case she doesn't call back. I'm just thankful that we're in the position that I don't have to jump at the first call I get but I can wait to find something I really like.

No comments: