Thursday, January 26, 2012

Perpetual rejection?

I've had this sense for a while, but the Chronicle just confirmed it in an article on "The Art of Rejection" (which is supposed to cheer up those of us who are perpetually losing in the job market, but fails to do so convincingly). In it, the authors write:
Over the previous two years, the MLA found that more jobs had been advertised in the spring and summer months than in the fall. In fact, 52.6 percent of jobs in English and 60 percent of jobs in foreign languages appeared after the MLA convention in 2011. Those are welcome opportunities, to be sure, but that statistic also means that the so-called season of rejection now runs continuously from October through September. Under such circumstances, we ask, is there ever a time when a job seeker isn't being rejected?
Indeed. Is there ever a time when I might open my inbox or my mailbox without the vague dread that I will find yet another rejection inside? 

Didn't think so.

No comments: