Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Turing year

I find it odd how I picked up and read Ted Chiang's The Lifecycle of Software Objects (which I've had for over a year) over the last two days, that is, the first days of 2012, only to realize that Chiang is a bit of a fan of Alan Turing, and this year is the centenary of Turing's birth.

I frequently mention the Turing test in my class on Cultural Perspectives on Science as an introduction to the idea of thought experiments in both science and science fiction because it's one that students find fairly easy to understand. Of course, Turing's codebreaking work was highly valuable during the second world war, which is why the disgraceful charges against him because of his homosexuality are being sought to be overturned. (If you live in the UK, you can sign the petition here.)

I've read mixed reviews of Chiang's book, but I'd have to say I tend to side with those who enjoy it. The link above takes you to an ecopy, but if you can afford the hard copy, it's far more rewarding because of the illustrations and intricate maps included in it.

No comments: