Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Was trying to explain to someone ten years younger than me what a 'pigeonhole' was because she had never seen that piece of office equipment/furniture.

Of course this reminded me again of the rate of change in society over the last few decades. Yes, yes, I know it's just the disappearance of pigeonholes that we're talking about here, after all, pigeonholes aren't what you could really call obsolete technology, but it still amazes me that a colleague who's only ten years younger than me has in many ways had a very different experience of the workplace. And my students have an even different view - they grew up with voicemail and e-mail - handwritten phone messages are a thing of the past - even at home!

Makes me feel older than I really am... or maybe I've just been obsessing over passing the 'early thirties' mark into the 'late thirties' one... and my career really has yet to begin. [My inability to accept additional employment/experience outside of my home institution doesn't help make me feel better about getting older and older with fewer and fewer opportunities].

Enought of that - I promise not to talk about age for at least a week!

No comments: