Sunday, August 10, 2003

Like the new look? Thanks Duncan!

Html is one language I certainly do NOT know...though I was wondering if I could make the case with the department that it is a language that would do me just as much good to know as say German, or Latin, or French and they should let me write my language test in it. Then I'd at least feel like I had learned a useful language for the PhD requirements!

I do think I finally figured out how to change the time to EST instead of MST though...not hard, but I'm pretty proud of being able to do it. Did you know that the list I chose from had Swift Current listed? Along with Antigua, Belize, Michigan etc. I thought it rather impressive - Speedy Creek makes the map!

Promised myself I wouldn't do anything enjoyable (including blogging) till I got to 14 pages in this paper, which is about 3/4 of the way through. I did however supervise the children at the pool (the sacrifices one makes as a mother!) before I got to this point, simply because it would've been dark if I'd waited! Sometimes I really am not at all interested in writing something intelligent and it's usually only the impending sense of time passing that motivates me...in other words, the end of the semester approaches. (Speaking of which, it will be fabulous to go back to the semester system - I'm sure the pace will feel much more like what I'm used to than this past year has!) Every time I sit down to write a paper, I do wonder what I'm going to do after I finish my degree, when the expectation is that I write to publish, but I don't have a deadline hanging over my head. What will motivate me then? I'll have to find something that will sufficiently excite me to get over the dread of beginning a project. Maybe the dissertation experience will help me find it...

Speaking of which - congratulations Shea on completing (except for that one paragraph!) your thesis! Yeah!
I think I have a good idea how relieved you feel! Congratuations!

No comments: