Saturday, October 18, 2003

A few recent posts probably could use some follow-up, so here goes:

I am much more mobile now - although I have not yet gone for a run - and probably won't for another week or so - I feel almost fully healed. Aside from some stiffness in the morning that usually goes away after stretching (and only comes back after marathon reading sessions in which I don't get up for hours) I feel good. I was ready to play basketball with friends yesterday, but we couldn't gather enough people, which I suppose is good since I'm sure I'll be in much better shape next week - they'd better look out!

My computer has been on and running for almost four hours now - and that's much longer than it has been working all week. I have no idea what it was that was shutting it down...and since I have no idea what it was that caused it, or which of the myriad things I did to it in an attempt to fix it actually worked, it will remain to be seen if I have actually fixed it, or this is just a temporary respite.

I also spent four hours poking around under the hood of the car trying to figure out how water was getting into the interior. A wet interior is not life threatening to a car, true, but it is annoying, makes the car smell like wet...dog? kid? upholstery? whatever it smells like, it's not great. And I'm worried that the water will not just flow through the dash harmlessly but will trigger the kind of $2000 meltdown we had last winter. And since winter around here means rain, and lots of it, something needs to be done. I think I found the problem, though I guess I won't know till after the next big rainstorm. If that fixed it, I'll be glad; if not, I'll be annoyed at the waste of time.

I've also had to fix a kitchen cabinet, spray for ants that are invading (though I'm not sure from where), and fix the cheese board (so I could use it for dinner guests last night) this week.

[I really hate being poor and having stuff that is old or doesn't work!]

And of course the Sox blew it. It was really rather amazing - at the bottom of the seventh in the seventh game, they're up three runs and then in the eighth, the Yankees even up the score, they go into overtime and lose the five hour long game! After the disastrous eighth, I went to bed - it was already almost midnight and I had to teach at 8 the next morning - and told Dwayne to only wake me if they won. I woke up at 3 am after a vivid, and particularly realistic dream about being reamed out by my supervisor, but I did not wake up for a Sox win. [insert expletive] I wanted to see them play the Cubs (though they lost too), but even the Marlins would've been cool.

And academically, I still have too much work to do.

No comments: