Friday, July 30, 2004

Rhetoric

Watched Kerry's nomination acceptance speech at the DNC last night (on tv, not there obviously). The consensus in the room was that he hit on some of the issues he needed to (though the room was entirely Democratic, so that was to be expected).

I was struck by one thing he said, that internationally, America needs to recover its position as a nation that people look up to, not just fear. I wonder how true that sentiment might actually be of international politics.

Caveat: I only know my sense of things - and I'm no expert in international politics.

Sometimes as a Canadian, looking to the U.S. feels a bit like watching the pit bull in the neighbor's yard - you're pretty sure the fence is secure, but it still makes you a bit nervous. Being here sometimes feels a bit like standing behind the bully of the playground. As long as he isn't looking at you, you're okay. But when he turns around - all hell's gonna break loose.

But maybe that's just me.

No comments: