Monday, November 10, 2008

I hate Mondays

I usually don't hate Mondays. I'm not really one of those people who is so in love with the weekend (or so in hate with their workplace) that they hate the thought of the weekend ending.

But this term I've grown to dislike Mondays. Today, that dislike is threatening to escalate.

See, Mondays I teach at two places and have to travel during rush hour (through downtown) to get from one to the other. So the traveling isn't fun.

The first class is okay, but it's always hard to not feel resentment at having to go all the way to school just for a two hour class - somehow it's always easier if there are other things that need to get done as well. The second class is starting to get rough. Students are starting to grade grub and there is one who is starting to challenge me every class - not on the material - that I could handle - but on my pedagogy, which annoys me to no end. Slapping hir down has not seemed to stem the tide, and I'm getting frustrated at the continued attempt. Now that the midterm is over, I suspect the challenging will stop, or morph, so I'll be interested to see what tonight brings.

And today I have to track down someone for the online work who is notoriously bad for responding to messages. I may have to actually squeeze in a stop at his house and bang on his door between classes to get the answer I want. So unprofessional - ugh!

Part of the problem is that I don't teach till the afternoon, so in the morning, I've got between 3 and 4 hours to do something. It's not a full day, and it's not an hour here or there, so it feels hard to slot something into it. I feel like the work I do either needs one hour time slots, or full days. I know, I know. I could just slot three - one hour tasks in, right? But that feels so terribly schizophrenic as I jump from one topic to another, it makes it hard to really concentrate.

Mostly I dislike Mondays because there's a lot of work crammed into it, but it also involves a lot of paper pushing, driving, and generally dealing with a schedule that is less than exciting.

At least tonight after class, I am meeting a friend for a drink. It's what will get me through the day, even if it's not for another twelve hours!

No comments: