Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I wonder where this will go?

Got lots of questions, and I'll be curious to see what happens after this event:

US air marshalls kill bomb alert passenger

Killing a mentally ill man, for making a bomb threat strikes me as a bit extreme. Incapacitating a man who might have a bomb: yes. Firing 4-5 shots, at least one of which is fatal: necessary? I wonder. Considering that "The air marshals say they are held to higher standards of handgun accuracy than officers of any other federal law enforcement agency. "Historically, the air marshals have been known as the best shots," said Joseph Gutheinz, a former military pilot and retired agent in NASA's inspector general office" one would assume that the fatal shots were indeed intentional. Which makes me wonder whether such deadly force was necessary in this case.

I'm not at the scene. I'm not trained in these kinds of things. There may be details that aren't being reported right now that will emerge later. But my first reaction is shock at the level of response in this incident.

No comments: