Thursday, December 15, 2005

This isn't putting me in the holiday spirit

I'm getting sick. After being sick only three weeks ago, I'm starting to feel horrible again.

I can only assume it has to do with the stress of the exams.

And maybe with being dragged out of the house in the middle of the night. Night before last, I awoke at 4:30 am to the sound of my neighbor yelling her head off. Her toilet sprung a leak and she couldn't figure out how to make it stop, so she just started yelling (all it needed was to turn off the knob at the back to stop the water). Disturbing part was that she didn't recognize me as the neighbor when I went over but dragged me in anyway to fix it. I don't think someone who is getting that old, who becomes immobilized at the sight of damaged plumbing and isn't capable of remembering what the neighbors look like even after several encounters, should necessarily be living all alone. And sharing a wall with other people. This time it was water, what if next time it's fire?

I know assisted living isn't an inexpensive option, but it exists for a reason. There at least, the person who has to come turn the water off in the middle of the night is hired for the job based on their qualifications to handle the situation. I'm just the neighbor trying to sleep.

No comments: