Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The circularity of time

This time last year, I was blogging a storm: four entries in one day - probably a record. First I expressed my delight in having returned home, even though PCA was a great conference, and lamented the difference in climate between Southern California and New England. Then I talked about the conference experience, then I talked about more of it, and even more of it!

I ended the post saying that I needed to find a way of getting to next year's conference - which I have - but it's a little later this year. So a year later, I am frantically trying to put together the conference paper. It's not that I don't have material, it's that I have too much material, and I need to select which parts to shape into a conference paper that I'll present orally instead of writing for publication (or at least a reading audience).

This year the conference is in Atlanta, Georgia - a place I've never been, though we did drive through Georgia on the way to Florida at Christmas. I'm booked into the hostel again - I can't afford the prices at the kinds of hotels these things are held at - and I'm hoping it won't be in a club district again. Google Earth reveals a pretty quiet looking neighborhood about a kilometer from the conference site, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm really looking forward to it - there are some great papers listed - some names of people who I'm looking forward to meeting with again - and I get to see a city I've never been to before (even if it is just the downtown area, it's gotta be better than Indianapolis).

No comments: