Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The going and the coming

So the conference was great! The accommodations? Not so great. But I guess you have to take the good with the bad, right? Next year, the conference is here, so that's cool - I shouldn't have to travel very far. And I can sleep in my own bed every night!

btw: If you're ever in Atlanta, DON'T stay at the Atlanta-Hostel on Ponce de Leon. They suck in multiple ways.

The panel I was on worked out much better than I thought. Before I got there, I was thinking it was such an unbalanced and mismatched panel that I couldn't see any way that the papers could have anything in common. But we did - it was small, but we managed to make a link. And what was cool is that I had three different questioners with five questions/comments total! That's way more than I've ever had at a conference before!

I do wonder what the increase in questions means though. Either I'm becoming more incomprehensible and need to clarify (I don't think so) or becoming a more interesting presenter (I hope so). Either way, the session was great!

The worst part about going to conferences is the coming home though... not the coming home to my house and family - that's great! - it's the coming home to a whole bunch of emails, student stuff etc. that I've been ignoring for a week. I suppose I could get technologically connected and do that stuff while I'm at a conference - but I'm usually too busy conferenc-ing to do anything else! Catch-22.

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Get a blackberry or blueberry (whatever they're called). That way you can call, fax, e-mail, grade papers, conference call, research, dance and sing with one easy-to-use device!