Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Lame post

So I was going to blog this morning, but couldn't get blogger to work and now I'm trying to remember what I was going to blog about.

I apparently look like I know things - yes, it's a fabulous act - because I got stopped twice on the way to school this morning for directions. The first one was clearly looking for the detox center at the hospital, so I spoke clearly, repeated what I said, and pointed to landmarks instead of telling her how many more blocks she had to go. I do hope she was able to stay focused long enough to get there. The second I couldn't understand for the life of me, even after asking her to repeat herself. I think she might have wanted to get downtown. I figured it was better to say I didn't know than try to guess what she was trying to say.

I did want to link to this new media artist's webpage: Stelarc. There's a whole lot of stuff on his page - I haven't had near enough time to go through it yet, but his work is very interesting. I learnt about him in the course of a conversation where two people who were familiar with his work were trying to determine whether his work arises because he really wants to be a robot, or as a pose that he has adopted. I want to come back to Stelarc, but if you check the site out, I leave you with the question: pose? or desire to become a cyborg/robot? I have some ideas, but want to look through more of the site before deciding.

I won't be posting much over the next few days. I'm heading off to the PCA conference in Atlanta. The panel I've been assigned isn't the greatest - mostly because it consists of three presenters on two topics, so what I'm discussing is film, and they're discussing the same television show, so I'm really not sure what kind of crowd we'll draw. Keep your fingers crossed that at least a couple of people come to hear my paper!

No comments: