Thursday, May 29, 2008

In sickness and celebration

Brief blog hiatus due to illness and daughter's graduation - congratulations!

Grandparents came to town for the ceremony and banquet. I had to teach during the ceremony, which sucked, but I was there for the banquet. Reverse of what happened for oldest daughter's grad, so I guess at least I'm being consistent in being 1 for 2 for both.

I feel reaffirmed in my belief that my students should get a lecture on social speaking situations in my Public speaking class, even though it isn't required in the curriculum. There were some people at the banquet - full grown adults, older than me by the looks of it - who have NO idea how to give a good toast! The teacher who toasted the grads strained my patience, and I've got a pretty good tolerance for long-windedness....

I anticipated the work disruption of guests and grad, but I didn't anticipate the illness (nothing serious, just made me totally unproductive for a while), so tomorrow's my only dissertation day this week. Bummer. I'll just have to make it a good one! Wish me luck...

No comments: