Sunday, June 29, 2003

Had a friend message me saying "I'm having blogger block" and my first impulse was to provide potential topics to blog about...one of which was the relative merits/pitfalls of blogging while drunk (the topic of another friend's blog recently). How exactly does mood (in all its manifestations) affect the construction of a blog?

On second thought, I started wondering what the difference between writer's block and blogger's block might be - after all, they are different kinds of writing, aren't they? Shouldn't the kind of 'blocks' for each be of a different nature? After all, you don't hear about journalists suffering from writer's block as often as fiction writers, do you? A journalist is supposed to be writing about stuff that's going on in the world, and I have the sense that more frequently, the problem has to do with the way in which you want to construct the article less so than what material you will cover. At least, when I did the little bit of journalistic writing that I did for SPARK at U of C, I had a clear idea of my topic and what I wanted to say, it was the way I wanted to construct the article (and that evil word limit!) that was the biggest problem. When you're writing fiction, it seems that the block more frequently refers to a lack of ideas.

Though I understand her desire to find something to blog about if she hasn't blogged in a while - I know there are days when I think I should write something, but don't know what to write.

No comments: