Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Interesting melange of activities & experiences in the last couple of days.

Yesterday, I lost my major league baseball virginity to the Sox vs. Cards at Fenway Park. As in many other "first" experiences I've had, this one was made really great by having some good friends who were very knowledgeable and willing to share their expertise with me. We went as a group and the two expert friends were cheering for opposing teams, so it was interesting to see their reactions...but what was almost as interesting as the game experience were the fans - some people take the game very very seriously.

The game certainly is supreme. As you approach the Fenway, you start to see signs advertising parking for the game and once you arrive at the nearest subway station, the crowds start to grow - once you actually arrive on one of the streets surrounding the park, the pedestrians outnumber the vehicles by about 50 to 1 and the pubs are absolutely packed. Even out on the street there's a sense of festivity that extends from the sausage vendors to the fans to the ticket hawkers. Only those who have to travel through the area aren't enthused. The security screen at the gate is a bit of a damper... but at least I went through a turnstile that only had men 'manning' it, so they didn't frisk me...but they were frisking the men. I wondered about the need for such intense security - was there always a need for heightened security, or is it a more recent phenomena? I thought of asking the question, but it was in the middle of a play, and I didn't want to interrupt. And then by the time the inning changed, I was thinking about other stuff. I do wonder what specifically they were so concerned about...I know you're not allowed to bring bags etc. into the park, but I assumed that was because they didn't want you to bring food and instead be forced to pay their prices for a snack.

Fenway park is at least 70 years old, and has quite the interesting history. Though hearing much of this information from friends between innings while you're actually in the park, is far more interesting and I had a great time! And we got great tickets too - thanks Amy! (and thanks to my other 'informant' Kurt!) The only downside was the trip home 'cause I was doing the transit thing. Even the people who got ejected from the stands for fighting were interesting - in that sociological-observing-weird-things-that-people-do kind of way. There was one guy who really hated J.D. Drew of the Cardinals - for a while, you could almost set your watch to his shouts of "Drew, you suck!" every time Drew took to the outfield (since we were sitting in the right-field bleachers). Amusing! So, I had a really good time.

Then tonight, I had the joy of watching an absolutely fabulous portrayal of the wicked witch of the west in the Wizard of Oz! Angela was really, really good in the part! Many of her lines were commands to the flying monkeys...and she was very, very convincing! As she said later, she's had lots of practice bossing people around! She was really good, and even her minor flub worked out because it looked like it was supposed to be that way to add some humor. Of course I'm biased when it comes to my kids, but she really does have a flair for the dramatic, and it showed tonight. Kudos to her!

And in transnational news..the winner of the 'biggest loser dad' goes to you know who...called tonight to wish Sandy happy birthday...her birthday was on the 4th!
There are just no words adequate...and I know some pretty choice words!

And on the late night news...this just made me giggle: According to UPN, ground squirrels are dangerous because they come from 'exotic' places! I could not stop laughing! For a girl who grew up in Saskatchewan and used to get 25 cents a tail from my uncle, the idea that they are exotic was just too much! I know, I know, I realize that the monkey pox that they suspect the ground squirrels are carrying is fairly serious, but to say that ground squirrels come from exotic places just made me giggle!

Melange, as promised...

No comments: