Saturday, November 20, 2004

Good Bad

Bad is that I'm sick. Ugh. Makes it difficult to work or play!

Good... well, there's lots of good, but the one that I'm most impressed with is that my students are finally coming around to the third project that I assigned, the one that asks if blogging is literature, and if so, is it also art? I got their final papers yesterday, and from flipping through them, I'd say they've at least got some interesting things to say about it and it made them have to think - which is the whole point of the course!

I always give the students three options for the final project - two of the options are standard 'revise an earlier paper' kind of options, but the third one I usually try to base on one of the sequences, something that I would've had them all do if we'd had the time. This time, the third option is for them to create their own blog and then critically analyse what's going on in it (including comments) from one of the critical points of view we discussed during this last sequence. About half the class has chosen this option, so it should make for some interesting final projects at least. Interesting is good when it comes to first year papers since they all tend to sound a bit the same.

No comments: