Saturday, April 30, 2005

Game day

today was game day - I did pretty much nothing that had to do with studying, which was a really welcome break - I got a chance to see how the other side lives between Friday night book club and Saturday all day pretend-I'm-not-insane-going-to-grad-school-with-a-family relaxing, not working kind of thing.

Went to the North Shore to pick up friends from home, train, home, then for lunch (very! good), then the original plan was for tennis, but since it was raining buckets, we opted for pool instead. Driving home, I tried to recall the last time I'd played pool, and I'm not sure I've ever actually played in MA before... so it's been a while.

I like the game, but as with most other games, I suck at it (goes with the job description when you're a klutz). I know what I need to do, but still tend to not be able to pull it off. The worst part for me is a power shot - I tend to back off on the follow through and dip the cue tip down at the last moment, which of course, tends to make balls fly into the air. I hate breaking because I'm so bad at it - the balls end up looking like a couple of city kids wandered into a redneck bar and are all clustering together for protection.

But I got talked into breaking. I dubbed my performance "the flying scratch" because the cue ball hit the 1, flew up into the air, and straight into the left corner pocket - didn't even come back down onto the table. Looked like I'd been aiming to sink the cue ball into that corner pocket the whole time. Wish I could drop a basketball that beautifully!

Weird part was, it musta been some kind of bad omen, 'cause the next three plays all scratched, and, the player who followed me scratched three turns in a row. Weird.

Came home, hoping the man had got enough studying done to go out, but not. Instead, we watched the two youngest play chess (and dropping hints in the form of timely reminders about how players can move, strategy and the rules of the game). They played a pretty close game, though middle one made a few safety moves that cost her the edge she otherwise might have had. Then the youngest and I played scrabble. She gave me a run for my money until I triple-worded "quarts" and then "quiz" off the same corner. But it was a close game.

Nice day.

No comments: