Thursday, April 14, 2005

Not about me (for a change)

Oldest daughter is going to Honduras this summer, but sometimes I think I have to do just as much work to get her there as she does (I know this isn't true 'cause she's done some amazing things to have this opportunity, but it just sometimes feels like it). Biggest problem right now is getting her to the training tomorrow at the same time as another kid needs to be in another place... do all parents of more than one child eventually run into this problem? I'll figure it out, but it's annoying.

I'm also a little nervous (okay, sometimes, really nervous) about her going. My nervousness factor went WAY up when she handed me the list of current immunizations she should have. Yellow fever? Rabies vaccine? Yipes!

Why is it that I'm getting the willies when she doesn't seem to even notice? My guess is it's that sense of invicincibility all teenagers seem to have. Thing is, the older I get, the greater the number of times my body lets me down, and I start to realize how fragile it can be... even when I revel in its strength. I suppose when you're young, your body hasn't betrayed you often enough for you to start to distrust it. Hence, I'm the one who's not sleeping at night.

So, she's not totally sure what she'll be doing with the team - she's got the equivalent of two textbooks worth of stuff to read, so hopefully she'll know by the time she reads all of it (and before she gets there!). Sounds like a fabulous opportunity regardless of what she's working on. And I'm sure we'll see some significant changes in our daughter when she gets back at the end of the summer, just as we did after she came back from Colorado last summer.

But I still get a little nervous about it everytime I think about her going.

Hmmm...come to think of it, this entry really was about me anyway.

No comments: