Thursday, April 21, 2005

Today was a day for falling in love

No, I'm not looking at anyone in particular, and yes, I'm in love with my husband.

What I was thinking that today was one of those kind of days when you could fall in love with a new city. Yeah, I know I've lived here almost three years already, but it still feels like a new city - I suppose when you have your head stuck in books all day, it takes a bit longer to notice your surroundings.

The air was crisp but soft - not biting-crisp like winter (which always reminds me of my childhood) or the hazy, washed out heat of summer (like when we first arrived here in the middle of a heat wave), but a just-right temperature and clarity that made the colors of the Charles River absolutely vibrant. Crossing the river everytime I go into the city is one of the few things that make the hour and a half long trek worth it... and today it was worth every minute of it. I watched the downtown skyline go by above a brilliant blue river dotted with dazzlingly white sailboats and thought "Today is the kind of day that could make you fall in love with this place".

That is, you could fall in love with it if you were the kind of person who wasn't still stuck in some kind of pathological limbo state where you vacillate between missing the old place and worrying about having to move yet again before too long and not wanting to get attached to the current place if you've just got to leave anyway, dreading the idea of having to perhaps start all over again another time.

If you weren't that kind of person, today was the kind of day that could make you fall in love with a city like this one.

No comments: