Thursday, August 18, 2005

We still are smarter than computers

I've got this gmail address, you know, where you get ad banners in each message. I usually don't pay attention to them, but one caught my eye the other day, and got me wondering what other bloopers there were. They're supposed to be tied to the message content, but sometimes they're really off. For example:

In a message about arranging travel to a local wedding, one ad banner offered to help me get over my fear of driving. (What about fear of weddings?)

In another message about soccer practices for the week, I was offered help in dealing with fibromyalgia and the 'sleep secrets' of Einstein. (Because I always think of sleep when I think of soccer)

In an email asking for clarification on my teaching schedule, I got offered Grand Theft Auto, San Andreas, for FREE! (Should I be playing instead of teaching?)

In an email from a student asking what my office hours will be for the week of finals, I got offered postal uniforms for cheap. (Does this have anything to do with my feeling that I might end up 'going postal' when I talk to some of my students?)

In another email from a student setting up a time to meet, I got offered a cruise. (To make a quick getaway?)

In an email from an academic journal I subscribe to, I got job offers. (Are they trying to tell me something?)

In an invite to a going away party, I got offered autodial software for my office. (So I could pretend I wasn't home?)

In an email trying to arrange a day to meet for a movie, I got offered a new mattress. (What kind of movie did they think I was talking about?)

In a request from a colleague for to sub a class for her, I got offered "disturbing ghost footage" (Does this mean no students will show up for that class?)

And in an email from my writing group, I got offered a device that will be able to tell me if my drink has been spiked. (What kind of kinky writing group do they think this is?)

No comments: