Thursday, January 26, 2006

Drained

I feel drained after finishing the last written exam yesterday.


Part of it I'm sure is because I have a chest cold. I dosed myself with vitamins echinacea etc since I felt it coming on last week, and got through the exam okay, but today I feel horrible. Maybe because my immune system was actually boosted while I was still worrying about it. I know a TA I had in undergrad was doing work like these guys about the effects of acute stress on illness. Chronic stress is bad for your immune system, but researchers hypothesize that acute stress actually preps the immune system in anticipation of injury that could follow a short term stressor.

Long & the short of it? I feel icky today. Good about finishing the exam, but icky.

Also a little disappointed but mostly not surprised by the election results Monday. My candidate lost, which I kinda expected, but I'm not a strategic voter and go with the person I think will do the best job for my riding. I'm sure there will be some interesting alliances come out of this configuration, though I also hope that the things I value about Canada and look forward to returning to are not eroded by this new government.

Best line in election night coverage? Peter Mansbridge coming back from an interview with Stephen Page saying with a deadpan straight face "we all like the bare naked ladies" (there's a possibility I just found it funny because of the Nyquil though)

No comments: