Monday, April 14, 2003

As if worrying about the comps isn't enough, I'm starting to realize that I may be in trouble for my actual coursework this term. I'm in two classes - one called Transatlantic Romanticism and the other on Thoreau and Nature. The fact that we read the same book for both classes might tell you something. The fact that most of the questions I got wrong on the GRE were the ones about the nineteenth century might tell you something else. The fact that Thoreau and Romanticism are both nineteenth century phenomena might tell you something else again.

And if that isn't enough, the fact that I owe a big karmic thank you to Kurt for jumping in to the discussion in class today while I was obviously floundering after being put on the spot by the prof should give you a clear idea that I feel WAY over my head in these classes.

I just don't get this stuff.

There are a few Romantics in the department (nineteenth century not Harlequin) who seem to get this stuff, but the reason I was in need of rescue in class was because I just don't seem to read this stuff 'right'. My reading of the material, and what I focused on in the texts, seemed to be diametrically opposed to what the instructor wanted, so much so, that after my obviously screwed up answer, she didn't call on me again - probably afraid I'd start talking about aliens or something...

So, how do I write a couple of intelligent papers in classes that I just don't seem to "get"? It's a challenge I'm trying not to worry about until after May 2nd, but I will have to figure it then. Right now, it's just not looking good.

No comments: