Thursday, October 05, 2006

The more things change the more they stay the same

Looking back, I see that three years ago on this day, I was preoccupied with my (in)ability to get around.

Last year, I was blogging about my good friends.

Today, friends and moving around are also on my mind. I'm missing friends that I've left behind a lot today. I'm not sure what it is about today that's generating this feeling, but I am missing them. As much as working from home is convenient and all, it probably won't help to dispel the feeling that I'm disconnected from the world. I'm looking forward to a trip back in the next few weeks as a way of reconnecting, if only temporarily.

On a brighter note, I'm pleased with my last run. Last week I finally got to the point where I didn't feel short of breath during the whole run... which I can only assume is related to a really slow acclimatization to the higher eleveation here. It was really good to finish a (short) run without feeling like I was gasping for air the whole time. And yesterday, I finally broke the 4 km barrier that I seemed to be stymied by for the last several months. I know it's not much - some of my readers run MUCH farther than that - but for me it's a breakthrough. And at least now I won't embarass myself with a poor performance at next weekend's Gorilla Run.

No comments: