Friday, May 02, 2003

Day of the test...right now the only thing I'm doing is trying to keep myself calm and focused.

No nightmares about it...though what scraps I do remember from last night were bizarre in other ways!

The temptation is there to scramble to try to learn one more thing or to memorize one more concept, but I know that won't do any good. What I know, I know. And what I don't know I will not learn in the next hour before leaving for the venue. Overall, I feel fairly confident in my preparation.

The only thing I feel a bit weak on is the special work. We're given the option of preparing to write about one of four 'special works' by knowing what they are ahead of time. In my case, I chose to read the Victorian novel Middlemarch. The idea behind this strategy is to allow you to prepare not only by reading that particular work, but also familiarizing yourself with all the criticism surrounding it so that you can answer a more detailed question. The catch of course is that you're expected to know so much more about the work and I don't know if I'll remember all the key theorists who have discussed the novel. The positive side is that, even though I've done all this work for it, I'm not committed to doing a question on the special work. It would feel like such a waste to have done all this preparation and then not use it, but if I'm not confident about the question, I'm not going to attempt it and try for something else.

I am a bit nervous, but I'm sure I'll do fine. And even if I don't, there's a possibility of a re-test (not that I'd want to go through all this preparation again!)

Off to the races!

No comments: